Medical billers and coders play a vital role in the connection between health care providers, patients, and insurance companies. The online Medical Billing and Coding program sets you up for entry-level employment as a medical biller and coder in a healthcare setting. Medical billers and coders complete insurance claims, code patient diagnoses and also code for medical, surgical, and diagnostic services, submit medical claims according to government and insurance regulations, and coordinate communications between healthcare providers, insurance companies, and patients.
As such no prescribed educational requirements for taking up this course, the only professional requirement is that the candidate is able to read the write English at the high school level.
You must have the following traits and skills to succeed in medical billing and coding:
- Attention to detail: Accuracy is crucial when it comes to managing patient data and information.
- Data analysis skills: You must follow and understand patient data and information to code them into medical records.
- Technical skills: You need to be comfortable with computers, and you also need the background to learn electronic health record systems.
- Communication skills: Communication is important in any medical office. You’ll connect with nearly all members of the medical team.
- Introduction to U.S. Healthcare Delivery
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions
- Human Pharmacology
- Medical Law and Ethics
- Medical Records Management
- Introduction to Pathophysiology
- Healthcare Coding and Billing I
- Healthcare Coding and Billing II
- Medical Billing & Coding Capstone
- Medical Billing & Coding Practicum